There was an error in this gadget

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Workout on the Hill

Little neighborhood parks are remarkably ubiquitous here. It's been a while since I've lived so close to this variety though. A left handed stone's throw from my window is this outdoor weatherproof gym. My favorite is the third one down. You stand on the disk and just rotate your body back and forth. These spin things are prevalent, a must for Asian gyms.
On the weekday mornings, our little park is the kingdom of the retired. They'll be out there at 5 AM just spinning like mad. In the evenings, it plays stage to the teenage lovers with no money or place to go. Later at night, the naughty high schoolers come (still in uniform) to smoke. On the Weekends the Asian businessmen step out of their suits for a day to play Chokku (a cross between soccer and tennis) on the court in the background.
It doesn't matter what time of day I leave or return home, or how far I go. Stepping outside my door is still an adventure.

3 comments:

  1. So interesting! We too have a park straight out our back door. I'm used to it now, but when we first moved in I would people watch for hours on end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Playgrounds leave enough applause simply enough.

    ReplyDelete